April 20, 2012

I Love Trash (and other dumpstering films)



David, a buddy from college, was one of the first people to get me into dumpstering, along with his partner Liz and their friend Greg. David and Greg made a low-budget film called I Love Trash while in college where they asked the question "what if we don't buy any things for 3 months?" They started with a veggie-oil converted car and their rent paid on a completely empty apartment. Thus began the experiment. They documented their journey, and it's pretty informative and entertaining. It showed at a few film festivals, and is thankfully now streaming on the internet (I used to have a DVD of it that is currently lost in a box somewhere). It opened my mind to dumpstering as a normal (not necessarily revolutionary) practice. I hope it does the same for you. It's a little hippy dippy and philosophical at points, and there are more than the fair share of streaming ads, but I'd say it's worth it (plus it clocks in at under an hour and a half). It deals with all aspects of dumpster diving (not just food waste), and the results of David and Greg's experiment are eye-opening.

Here's the link:

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/i_love_trash


Other great dumpstering movies include:

- French New Wave matron Agnes Varda's The Gleaners and I - Currently steaming on Netflix instant. Highly recommended, although slightly free-form compared to most documentaries. I haven't seen this film since I started actively dumpstering, so I plan to watch it again this week.

- Dive! The Film - I can't actually attest to this one, but it looks good. I ordered a copy of the DVD from their website about 2 months ago hoping to review it here on the blog and only received it today after emailing the filmmakers to let them know I was waiting on it. The filmmakers were incredibly nice about the whole thing. It sounded like their distribution company was at fault, because I got the DVD about 3 days after emailing the filmmakers, who emailed the distribution folks angrily. Keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming review on this one...

- First the Dishes, Then the Revolution - A short film/ad made by the folks at InOur Hearts who produce Grub, which is a community dinner hosted about twice a month in Brooklyn made out of entirely dumpstered food. Some of the people being filmed ham it up, but it's a fun little film to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment