September 27, 2011

Curried Sweet Potatoes

My good friend Kendall and I made this dish for a birthday pot-luck a few months back which mostly had vegetarians and vegans in attendance (we also made some vegan jalapeno corn bread with a spicy mango-ginger chutney, which I'll hopefully post the recipe for soon). Unfortunately, Kendall and I don't get to see each other as often as we'd like to since we live kind of far away from each other and are both incredibly busy folks. Making this dish doesn't require a lot of prep time, and you have to wait around 40 minutes for these to finish in the oven. This leaves ample time to catch up and commune with your friends, which is exactly what Kendall and I did before heading to the party. Our dishes were gone minutes after we placed them on the table, and folks lamented that they couldn't come back for seconds. As the demi-god Charlie Sheen would say: winning.

I re-made this dish after dumpstering sweet potatoes the other day, and it was just as good (and easy) as the first time. This time, I ended up hanging out with my housemate (who was about to move to NY) while I waited for the sweet potatoes to cook. I got a little engrossed in the conversation, so the potatoes got left in the oven a bit too long, which is why they look a little TOO crispy in the photo above. In the end, they still tasted yummy and I got to have a great time talking to my roommate (and friend) before he left.

CURRIED SWEET POTATOES

Ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes
- Around 1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil (I'm pretty sure we used olive oil both times)
- Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- Yellow curry powder (a LOT of it)
- A butt-ton of rosemary
- A healthy dose of nutmeg
- An equally healthy dose of cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste (I put on a lot)

Wash and cut your sweet potatoes into cubes - maybe around 1"x1". Leave the skins on for extra nutrients.
Throw everything else on your sweet potatoes and toss so the potatoes are covered.
Put them on a baking sheet covered in tin foil.
Bake in an oven at 350-400 (the higher the temperature, the crispier the outside of the sweet potatoes will get).
Take them out and turn them over a bit around half way through.
40 minutes later, and you're done. You can tell they're done if a fork goes into them easily.

Items not dumpstered or donated: Honey, spices (rosemary was from the garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment