August 2, 2011

Cucumber Water

So, I first had this at a pretty bitchin' birthday pot luck recently. It was really nice, because I wasn't drinking, so a non-alcoholic option that wasn't just plain old water was an unexpected surprise! Lucky enough for me, I dumpstered a cucumber a few days later and was able to recreate it the way my friend Keith had made it.

(My cat, Iggy, even posed for the picture!)

CUCUMBER WATER

Ingredients:
- Cucumber
- Water
- Basil or Mint (optional)

Throw some thick slices of cucumber (and some basil or mint if you want) in some water. Let it steep for a few hours (or overnight) in the fridge. Serve it up!

You can re-use the cucumbers a few times, but each time the crisp cucumber flavor in the water becomes a bit weaker. The more you experiment, the more you can fine-tune your ratios and batches. I usually use a huge mason jar or pitcher so I have lots of cucumber water to drink over the course of a week!

p.s. you can also do this same exact thing with pineapple. I wouldn't recommend using defrosted pineapple from the freezer, though - it gives the water a weird freezer burn taste that is NOT tasty.

Items not dumpstered or donated: Basil (from garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment