January 20, 2011

Soup Month - Jeremy's Soup & Homemade Vegetable Stock

So, I drove my man-friend Jeremy to the airport for the holidays, and to my surprise, included with my Christmas presents was a Tupperware with all the food that would go bad before he got back! Most of what was in the Tupperware were ingredients for a soup he makes often (and is freaking delicious). I didn't have all the ingredients to make the soup quite like he does, so I made some variations. I made the soup a few times, so I ended up making vegetable stock from scratch for the second batch of soup. I made two versions of this soup, so I've included all the variations possible.

JEREMY'S SOUP

Ingredients:
Veggie, Chicken, or Beef stock (I started w/ 2 veggie stock packs from Trader Joe's, donated from Jeremy)
1 tbsp olive oil
3 min. noodles (or other dumpstered pasta)
Green Onions or Shallots
Onions
Green Curry Paste (canned)
Ginger
1 Egg
Water
Carrots
Mushrooms
Juice from 1/2 a small lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cut up veggies & ginger & throw in boiling water/stock/olive oil combo. Cook until tender.
Throw in a spoonful or two of curry paste (to your liking), lemon juice, & salt/pepper.
Put in pasta of your choice. Cook until tender.
Turn heat to medium-low and crack 1 egg into soup. Cover and let sit for a few minutes - don't let the egg yolk cook. Stir egg around in soup.
Eat up!

Other incarnations can involve rice, sesame oil, honey, bacon fat, basil, or coconut milk in lieu of water.

If you don't have veggie stock at hand, here's how to make it from scratch:

HOMEMADE VEGETABLE STOCK

Ingredients:
1 Large stalk of celery
1 medium onion
2 tbsp olive oil
A few pepper corns/ground pepper
1 bay leaf
2 large peeled carrots (or 6 baby carrots)
Salt
Water
Garlic (optional)

Sautee everything in olive oil (except the bay leaf) until tender. Add water & bay leaf. Bring to a rolling boil. Simmer for 30 min-2 hours. Remove bay leaf.

Items not dumpstered or donated: Green curry paste, Egg, Spices, Celery

No comments:

Post a Comment